Friday, November 19, 2010

All We Need Is One Tiny Flake

Henry has entered that awkward stage where fashion and the desire to be "cool" trump warmth and practicality.  At the beginning of the year, Henry announced that he was going to wear shorts "until it snows."  And wear shorts, he has.  I guess it's a sign of his great determination and stick-to-it-ness, but you could also call it stupidity and stubbornness.  We live in New England, after all, not Florida. 

Today it was a brisk 38 degrees outside when we left for school.  Georgia and Josie were bundled up like this:


This photo was snapped just before Georgia whined about how cold it was. 

 (Josie, dressed in warm clothing, appropriate to the Arctic climate she lives in.)

And here is Henry, wearing his puffy coat and ..... shorts. 


After one block, the girls couldn't take the cold anymore and put on their hoods.  Their hands were all but bolted into their warm pockets.


It was at this same point that Henry started to complain that his legs hurt.


But don't worry!  It's NOT BECAUSE THEY WERE COLD!  I know this, because I asked. 

Look at these poor, uncovered things.  No wonder they hurt.  It's hard for legs to try to pull themselves back into the mid-section to warm up! 

I never thought I would write the following statement as I'm not a huge fan of winter precipitation, but ..... let's hope for snow sooner rather than later! 

6 comments:

Aaron said...

I went to high school with a guy that insisted on wearing shorts and flip flops to school - ALL YEAR. Granted, it was Virginia, not Boston, but it still got cold and snowed. And that idiot shuffled through snow and slush in his shorts and flip flops each and every day. At least your son has the sense to call off the deal when the snow arrives.

Martha said...

There's one in every town, isn't there.... I've known one or two myself. I keep waiting for the common sense to kick in but obviously it hasn't yet. If only he'd apply this kind of dedication to his homework.

Aaron said...

I should have pointed out that this guy's favorite shorts were Jams - those hideous hawaiian print shorts. Remember those? He also sported some royal blue OP corduroy shorts that were just a little bit too tight and too short. So Henry's coming out pretty good in comparison.

Angela M said...

Martha, we saw about 20 flakes late this morning before I left for Kindergarten pickup! Too bad Henry didn't see them too...

Martha said...

You're kidding!!! And next week it's supposed to be warm again. I might have missed my opportunity. Plan B is to just hide the shorts until spring time...... if you hear screaming tomorrow, you'll know I got desperate!

elisabethellington said...

Just saw this post: LMAO! Henry, Henry, Henry. Hilarious! The best part was when his legs hurt BUT NOT FROM THE COLD.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...