Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hardly Amusing

On April Fool's Day, we woke up to this catastrophe:


Snow!  And about 4 inches of it. 

And it was the heaviest, wettest snow I've ever shovelled. 

Yes, that's right, I had to SHOVEL in APRIL!

This has been the strangest winter I've ever lived through -- and with the endless blizzards, snow days and ice dam disasters, I barely did live through it.

But that's not all.  Look how my first born came downstairs this morning:


Yup.  Shorts. 

Henry started wearing shorts to school again about a week ago.  After all, he was born in New England and doesn't understand why the rest of us are complaining that it's spring and still freezing. 

Now I know what you are all thinking.   I am the mother of this child and I could make him wear long pants when it's cold, but really, why bother.  If he wants to wear shorts and freeze all day long, what's it to me.

I've learned that I'm good for one to two battles a day and I'd rather choose to fight over homework and bedtimes. 

Call me a bad mother, I don't care.

In this case, I did suggest that the Prince's Royal Legs might benefit from more coverage considering the fact that he was planning to walk home from school.  And luckily for us, Henry reconsidered his outfit.

I've heard that eventually the snow is going to turn into rain and that eventually it may get warm here and eventually summer might come.  I'm not holding my breath.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I must be seeing things. Those can't be...wait are they? Are those University of Virginia shorts Henry is wearing?

Martha said...

ah... yes. It's where he wants to play lacrosse. Please stop snickering and promise me you will never, ever tell him he has no hopes in getting in. His back-up plan - Duke - where he "wants to play hockey" is worrisome since they don't actually have a hockey team. We keep our mouth shut. Afterall, this is the first year that he's even finished his homework regularly and we want to keep a good thing going for as long as possible.

Aaron said...

He might get in...Virginia has a healthy out-of-state admission for a state school. Playing lacrosse there is no easy feat, however.

Having said that, I would never have gotten in to UVA if I were out of state. I probably was lucky to get in there from instate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...