Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Office

Even though things are still chaotic and water-stained from the ice dams, Gordy and I decided to push ahead with the decorating of our new-ish house.  Technically the only rooms that are really finished are the family room and the kitchen, with the dining room and the living room almost done.  (and I say finished with the understanding that some "finished" spaces now need new paint jobs, new ceilings and moldings and help with blown glass chandeliers.)  The only completely empty room is the office.  When we moved into the house, the office looked like this:






As you can see, it was very dark, cramped and manly.  I wanted light, airy and girlie.  And I wanted to feel like I was in a beach cottage.  Our wonderfully creative decorator, Julianne, took my brief and outdid herself.  Nothing is finished yet, but I thought I would show you the painting as it progresses.


Stage one was to cover the dark wood stain with a nice glossy white.


The bookshelves got a coat of gorgeous Caribbean ocean blue:





The ceiling got painted with a hint of coral.





And the walls got painted a brilliant white.  The whole room is unbelievably light and airy now and it looks SO MUCH BIGGER.  It's amazing what a little paint can do.  I'll keep you posted as the furniture arrives and after the fireplace gets a special treatment. 

It may still feel like winter outside, but inside, while I work on my blog, I will be on a beach vacation!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the way it turned out. Great vision.

Martha said...

Thank you, Anonymous! Keep checking back... I'll continue to post more pictures. We're scheduled to get the lights hung in a couple of weeks!

Tara said...

I'll admit, the initial sight of all that beautiful wood being painted made me gasp, but I completely understand what you're looking to create with the space. And I reminded myself that it's not 100-yr old Douglas fir (I sometimes wonder what our downstairs rooms would look like painted). Looking forward to more updates! x

Martha said...

Yes - I knew that would cause scandals among the Berkeley crowd, but this is BRAND new wood in a brand new house and much of it is plywood. I would never paint the wood in your house or in the in-laws house. that would be sacreligous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...