Tuesday, May 3, 2011

We Most Certainly Did!

We got up at 5am last Friday to watch the Royal Wedding in England.  We most certainly did. 

Admit it - you did, too.  We all watched at least some of the royal wedding, so you might was well fess up to it.  Just get it all out into the open, you'll feel better.


As we had planned the night before, I woke up all three children at 5am - just in time to watch the first cars leave Clarence house and the royal arrivals to begin.  We were tired, admittedly, some of us more than others (cough - Georgia - cough), but any moment that mixes weddings and princesses is a good moment to us.


I woke all three children up but only two of them made it down the stairs at 5am.


Josie, Georgia and I made ourselves comfortable amidst the collected furniture of our first floor - still randomly scattered throughout our family room.  The demolition and reconstruction of the water damaged areas is still on-going, much to our chagrin.

We watched in awe as Catherine Middleton arrived at the church with her father.  And we oohed and aahed over her lovely dress.

And then we oohed and aahed over her sister's lovely dress, because, let's face it, Pippa looked fantastic.



By the way, my girls both love the name Pippa.  I explained that it's a nickname for Phillipa, the female version of Phillip and since both Georgia and Josephine have female-versions-of names, the very elegant, Pippa Middleton, impressed them that much more.



It really was amazing to have William, Harry and Kate Middleton all visit our family room at the same time.

At 6:15, Henry stumbled down the stairs and joined us.


After the ceremony, the new Duke & Duchess of Cambridge rode in their royal carriage and waved to us.

The Princesses of Elliot waved back.



Wave, Prince Henry of Elliot!  Wave!


Sadly, we had to Tivo the balcony kiss because our school starts before 8:30, but some of us watched it after school was over (can you guess who?). 

I love a good royal wedding.  I didn't see Charles and Diana's wedding live, but I remember watching endless reels and highlights on tv afterwards.  My sisters and I enjoyed imitating Diana saying her vows in her high-pitched, British accent.   "I, Di-yana Fron-cis."

I did watch Sarah and Andrew's wedding a few years later.  A friend and I got up early and watched the whole thing from start to finish while drinking ginger ale from champagne glasses and toasting to a long and happy marriage.  I guess that didn't work out so well.

Perhaps my children will watch the wedding of William and Kate's future child with their own children. 

I asked Josie if she would marry a prince and ride in a carriage like William and Kate and she said that she probably wouldn't, but added "it would be a lot of fun, though."

And she's right!

3 comments:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Martha, I can't find an e-mail address for you anywhere, but I wanted to respond to your comment about the hats from the wedding: You're right ... that really tall peach bow-like fascinator was horrible, too!

But I have to say, I wore some bows in my hair in high school that weren't that much smaller than that hat, so I had to refrain from judgment on THAT one. However, I have never worn anything on my person that resembled lady parts, so I felt free to condemn in that regard. ;)

If you have a chance, please send your e-mail address to me at stainsofgrass@yahoo.com so I can add it to my address book. If you are going to comment regularly, I'd love to have an easy way to respond!

Martha said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Katherine! I've sent you an email with my address.

Everyone else, check out Katherine's blog (you can find it by clicking Grass Stains on my blog list) - she is absolutely hilarious!

elisabethellington said...

Martha, too too funny! I happened to wake up early that morning (still on Ethiopian time!) and was folding laundry when I realized the royal wedding was on. I was very pleased to catch a few minutes. Loved Kate's dress--so Princess Grace. Loved Pippa in white. I do remember watching Princess Di's wedding live! I still can't believe my mom woke me up early for that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...