Thursday, June 30, 2011

International Day

The last week of school was filled with activities and events.  Josie had an End of The Year Breakfast Party, Henry had his Moving On Ceremony, and Georgia had International Day.


International Day marked the end of Georgia's class unit on family history.  The second grade teachers planned an entire day of celebrating including crafts, games and an international feast.  Sound ambitious?  It was, particularly since they asked each family to come up with either a craft, game or food from their native country.   I'm not particularly crafty and I'm not familiar with any Norwegian games.  I did consider putting together some sort of coffee-drinking, pastry-eating activity to show these second graders how MY Norwegian family likes to pass its time, but I figured caffeine and sedentary eating weren't age appropriate.  Instead, I signed up to make cookies.  

Norwegians make wonderful cookies.  And it would have been fun to share their sugary goodness with the children of Georgia's class, however, when I signed up and wrote Norwegian Cookies on the form, I forgot two very important things:

1.  I don't have any of the various irons, cups and baking implements needed to make Norwegian cookies
2.  I was moving into a Residence Inn three days before the cookies were needed and wouldn't have access to a kitchen aid mixer or proper oven.

Whoops! 

I needed to find an easy recipe, that took little time and almost no kitchen supplies.  

I went through my recipe box and at first considered Himmelska Gavor (ginger cookies) but abandoned the idea when I got to the step, "roll out the dough and cut shapes using cookie cutters."

I looked at every recipe in my box twice and then I google searched "Norwegian bakeries Massachusetts" in an attempt to buy myself out of the situation.

It ends up there are no Norwegian bakeries in Massachusetts.  If I had more time, I might protest or start raising some capital to open my own bakery and fill the gaping hole in the Massachusetts Norwegian Community (all five of us).

But I had no time, so I decided to blur the rules a little.  I chose to make the famous Mrs. Kvanvik's cookies.  Who cares if my sister Elizabeth thinks that Mrs. Kvanvik wasn't even Norwegian.  My Norwegian Grandmother made her cookies all the time and what is good enough for my gramma, is good enough for me and a room full of second graders who don't know any better.

I brought my cookies in early and stayed to watch some of the games and crafts.

My favorite was this Dizzy Dragon game from China:




Georgia enjoyed this French game of lawn ball:


I also watched the very international activity known as "Word Find."


Afterwards, the kids headed to the cafeteria to enjoy their international feast.


It was quite a spread.  


My offering looked particularly good.  I had sampled one that morning and it was delicious.  I left off the nut on top as nuts and elementary schools do not mix.


I've been impressed with the level of partying at our new school - these people do not mess around.  At our old school, one was lucky to get a Popsicle at Christmas time.  Compared to a sad, flavorless ice stick, the International Day was a feast.  

These children don't know how lucky they are!

2 comments:

music notes said...

Hello, new to your blog and newest follower!

Martha said...

Welcome, Lesa! So wonderful to have you as a follower. I'm thrilled! Please stop back regularly. I try to post at least three times a week. -Martha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...