Friday, June 3, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend


Memorial Day weekend was wonderfully hot and sunny.  After a hard, snowy winter and a wet, gray spring, we really welcomed the sun.  I also welcomed a new computer.  I am now the proud owner of a iMac and I'm slowly learning how to download pictures and improve them on Aperature.  I haven't used a mac since 1993, so it's pretty safe to say that it's all new to me and it might take me a few weeks to work out all the kinks.  Of course, it's not the new computer's fault that my colors are still wonky on my photographs:  For that matter, I blame my photography class.  Ever since I started messing with settings and things like white balance, my pictures have been getting stranger and stranger.  #$&!@! photography class!

But back to our weekend of outdoor fun.  We had a college friend of Gordy's and his family join us for a BBQ on Saturday.  This friend has three children:  one Josie's age and one year old twins.  We don't have a swing set and we don't have a lot of toys for the one-year-old set, so we purchased bubbles, a slip and slide and sidewalk chalk and hoped for the best.





We did the right thing.  Everything - including the slip and slide - was a huge success:



The entire party was a lot of fun.  

On Monday, we went to a Memorial Day Parade:






Our high school band marched, but didn't play.  They were wearing their new marching band uniforms that our high school was able to purchase after years of fundraising.  We are all supposed to think these uniforms are wonderful and very dapper, but they look ugly, awkward and itchy to me.  Why someone can't come up with a fashionable band uniform, I don't know.  


The parade was very small but fun to watch.  We followed the bands to the War Memorial where there was a 21 gun salute and a playing of taps.  It was a fitting end to an eventful day.   

The children are back to school for another month.  It was definitely hard to get back to the routine.  I'm really looking forward to the summer when we can be to foot-loose and routine-free.  I'm also looking forward to our vacation.  The best part of Memorial Day weekend was having Gordy home for three uninterrupted days.  Long weekends are such a tease.  It was three days of warmth, sun, pool, friends and no sporting events.  What more could we ask for? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...