Sunday, July 3, 2011

Gordy's Big Birthday Gift


On his last birthday, Gordy turned 40.  

To celebrate, the children bought him some little presents and we had party for all his friends.

But for his big present, Gordy got the only thing he could think of that he really, really wanted:  A garage make-over.

I've noticed over the last few months, that telling people about Gordy's gift is a wonderful way to determine a person's age.  Tell someone 37 and over that Gordy got a garage make-over for his birthday and they are excited and jealous.  Tell someone under 37 about this present and they become depressed and confused.  

An organized garage is not something your 20-something babysitter would consider a good gift, but your 48 year-old hockey buddy can not believe your good-fortune.

Our garage went from this mess:




To this:


... a clean, organized space.

We used a closet organizing company and after a few minor mistakes in measuring, we were very happy with the results.  There are lockers and drawers for small things and tools.


There is a huge slot wall with hanging hooks and baskets for the bikes, the bubbles, the balls and the rollerblades.  We even have special places for the skateboards, ripsticks, scooters and helmets.


On another slot wall, we have room for the fifth bike, some ride-on toys and other knick-knacks.


Our shovels and brooms even have their own home by the door.

It may not be the most romantic gift, but Gordy loves it anyway.  

Buying Gordy a gift is extremely difficult:  he buys the practical things he needs when that need arises and he gets more happiness from denying himself a pleasure than giving in to the whim.  I've pretty much exhausted all the clothes, ties, shoes and books options over the year and even though I begged him to let me buy him a new grill this year, he refused to part with the old one.

I am hardly under 37, but I was a little sad about giving the garage make-over as a present.  It's not a particularly personal or romantic gift.  I'm not sure how much a garage make-over says "I love you and I want you to know how much I appreciate you and all the wonderful things you do."  

I really like my new organized garage, but I wouldn't put it on my birthday list.

Gordy seems happy with the gift, though, and that is all that counts.

2 comments:

Elizalbelthl said...

I don't know...the garage would look much better if it had a little Mini Convertable sitting in it!!!

Martha said...

You have never been so right! And now there's room for my future Flying Marshmellow or Mini Pearl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...