Thursday, September 22, 2011

What Josie Wore

I am an enthusiastic reader of blogs.  I read mommy blogs, dog blogs, fashion blogs and home decorating blogs.  I've even been known to press the Next Blog button at the top of the screen and fill a dull moment reading random blogs.  Over time, I've noticed a common trend in the female internet community:   women bloggers LOVE to publish "What I Wore" posts on their blogs.   The posts are always the same:  the blogger is wearing some fashionable outfit, complete with gorgeous shoes, jewelry and a handbag.  They are always posed outside in a garden or standing by their front door and they are always - ALWAYS - looking up at the sky with an impish smile on their face which says, "I don't really want to have my photo taken in this marvelous outfit that I came up with this morning, but you readers just won't leave me alone until I do!"


Here I am, demonstrating the "What I Wore" standard pose.  I'm not very good at it, as you can see.  I forgot to smile when I looked up at the sun and I can hear my pilates instructor yelling at me to lower my shoulders.  See, Britt?  I told you my shoulders just naturally gravitate up to my ears!

I have always thought the "What I Wore" post was the worst of all blog posts.  Who cares what you wore today?  Where are you going dressed up like that, anyway?  Who even knows who you are?  Unless you are Rachel Zoe and you are blogging to an audience of millions, your outfit choices are really not that important.

I thought it would be funny to do my own "What I Wore" post.  On day one, I would be wearing my 10-year-old, hole-y exercise pants with a ratty t-shirt and unwashed hair.  I would call the photo "What I Wore To Drive Henry To School in The Rain."  My next post would be me, dressed in jeans and a sweater, looking clean and relatively cute.  And since, I like to be honest, the next six posts would have to be me wearing the same outfit in varying stages of deterioration.  Because, like many busy mother's of young children who I know, I am big enough to admit that I often wear the same outfit multiple days in a row.

Stop acting grossed out.  It's EASY.  Especially, when I take the clothes off each night and drop them onto the floor of my closet where they are easy to see and put back on in the morning.  You know you've done it, Ms. Stay At Home Mom.  Confess, you'll feel better.  A well matched outfit is not always easy to put together and if you do scored an outfit hit the day before, it will still be fabulous the next day!

Obviously, if I wanted to do a "What I Wore" post, I would have to tweak the concept a little bit.  Enter Josephine, fashion expert and outfit coordinator extraordinaire.  I asked her if she would pose for me each morning so I could take a picture of each of her outfits.

Josie thought this was a fabulous idea.

And so I present to you:

What Josie Wore 
(And I'll put commentary on the bottom just like the other blogs!)


On the first day of school, Josie wore a Crewcuts dress with a Crewcuts thin, purple, sparkly belt and Nordstrom bow/ballet flats in black.


On the second day, Josie wore Crewcuts peg-leg, cropped, navy blue pants and a Crewcuts tunic with black ballet flats.


Josie did not think she was properly accessorized and so she added sunglasses (Nordstrom kids department) and a corduroy blazer from Gap Kids.


On the third day, Josie wore black Gap leggings with a GapKids purple dress and ballet flats.

This is getting boring, isn't it?  See what I mean?  No one cares what one person wears every day.  All that most of us care about is that said person IS WEARING clothes each day -- trust me, I've lived in many US cities, and I've learned the hard way that not everyone remembers to get dressed on a daily basis.


Josie liked the whole sunglasses thing, so on the next morning, she paired 4 year-old, hand-me-down Crewcut shorts with a GapKids sleeveless shirt (NOT a tank top, because kids aren't allowed to wear tank tops at our public school) and the purple Crewcuts, sparkly, thin belt.  She wore shoes that day, but didn't pose in them.


Josie remedied the shoe oversight the next morning.  She paired a Zara tunic with the purple belt, leggings from GapKids and black "leather" boots from CWD.

You can tell it started getting colder outside.


On the seventh day, Josie wore a vintage Crewcuts tshirt (that sounds better than Hand-Me-Down, right?) with a new Crewcuts jeans skirt, the GapKids blazer, navy blue, argyll knee socks and the boots.

I feel like I'm singing The Twelve Days of Christmas.  Sing along with me!  "... the Gapkids purple blazer, and the boots from the C-DOUBLE U - D."


Here is a close-up of the leg wear.  I thought it was pretty neat.


Later that day, Josie changed for her tennis lesson and she thought that I should record the new outfit as well.  I think I've solved the question as to why bloggers include these posts... "What I Wore" photographs are addicting!

To play tennis, Josie wore Reebok sneakers in gray & pink, ankle socks bought at TJMaxx, an exercise skirt by Target and a pink t-shirt that was a gift from her Great Aunt Elsie.  

Which brings me to the last post.  

On the last morning, Josie out-did herself:


This was the big hoorah.  Josie put on knee socks from GapKids, a vintage green Crewcuts critter-print skirt, a white t-shirt from her closet and a blue, bunny sweater from BodenKids.

And that, my friends, is what my six-year-old wore.  

I should tell you that Josie always puts her own outfits together each morning with no assistance from me.  But, I'm the one who buys the clothes in the first place, so I should get some of the credit, no?  As she gets older, Josie has more opinions on what she will or won't wear.  She insisted on buying black, knee-high boots this year and she swears by a good blazer and some leggings to complete any outfit.  

She is available for fashion consulting and closet organization, but I'll warn you, she's expensive!  

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love seeing what Josie wore! How adorable. The girl has style. I like the outfit with the dog t, myself....

Martha said...

good! I liked that outfit myself, but my favorite was the bunny sweater. I am a sucker for any article of clothing with a bunny on the belly.

Anonymous said...

At first I just kept thinking how cute she looked, then I started getting jealous that she has such great clothes, then I just got mad cause she is a six year old with more style than I will ever have! Kidding - too sweet! tmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...