Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Crafty Georgia


Georgia loves a good craft project.  And she started playing the recorder at school this year.   And she bought fabric from JP Knit & Stitch last summer.

What do those three things have in common?

A hand-sewn, fabric recorder case.


Georgia and I went to Maine last weekend for a soccer tournament and we spent the afternoon/night with Granny and Grandfather.  I'll write more about the soccer games (Georgia's team won all four of their matches!) and our visit with Granny & Grandfather, but this post is just about Georgia and her recorder case.  

We brought Georgia's fabric and a sewing kit with us to Maine and in the late afternoon, Georgia began to create.


First, Georgia cut the pattern out of the fabric, and Granny and I helped her pin it together.

Granny made the suggestion that we draw a pencil line for Georgia to follow when she sewed, which was just the kind of genius idea that I would never think of.  

And then Georgia got to work:





When she was finished sewing, we turned the case right-side-out and voila:


A perfect case for that loud, squeaky, ear-splitting recorder.


Georgia's homemade case is longer than the case the recorder came in, but it is softer and more colorful, too.

After a break - because sewing is exhausting work - Georgia sewed a snap to the top of the case:


I was impressed by Georgia's craftiness.  Not only did she come up with the idea of recorder case all on her own, but she also chose the design and carried it all out without giving up even when stitching became a little boring and time-consuming.  

Good job, Georgia!

2 comments:

elisabethellington said...

Temesgen's recorder is required to stay at school. THANK GOD. It might "get lost" when it comes home at the end of the year. Georgia did a great job with her crafts project too! I was pretty sure that having kids was automatically going to transform me into a craftsy person, but you know what? It hasn't worked that way.

Martha said...

Nor me! The reason we brought this project to my mother's house was because I knew I didn't have the patience to help her sew it! We have a strict "No Recorder Playing For More Than Five Minute Practice" rule but I wish she could keep it at school!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...