Sunday, March 4, 2012

Josie is Seven!


I know!  I can hardly believe it myself.

And yet it is true.


On the morning of her birthday, Josie woke us up bright and early.  Did it matter to Josie that there was a delayed opening for school because of a late-season snow storm and therefore, we could all sleep in?  

No!


There were presents to be opened and gifts to be received!

And for all that, an audience is required, however sleepy that audience might be.





When I was seven, I got to bring in cupcakes for my classmates, but we live in an age of allergies and obesity, so Josie followed school rules and brought a small gift (japanese erasers) for her friends to enjoy.  She came home with The Birthday Bag, a paper crown and a card, signed by all the children in her class.


That night, we celebrated with the dinner and cake of Josie's choice.  She chose chicken pot pie and a vanilla cake with seven minute frosting.  



They both were very delicious, if I do say so myself.


We brought the birthday bag upstairs to use as our bedtime reading.  I figured there were probably three or four books inside and our reading time would take about 10 minutes.


Oh, how wrong I was!

The Birthday Bag was filled to the brim with books and even included a special Birthday Homework Assignment.  


Nine books!  Nine!  Obviously, it wasn't my birthday.  

I decided to have Josie read a few of the books to me.  It seemed only fair.


I wasn't overly thrilled with the reading selection found in the bag.  A Birthday For Frances is a wonderful classic and Scaredy Squirrel is another family favorite, but I could have done without the tedious nonsense of Albert's Birthday and there was one book (whose name I forgot to write down) that was so incredibly bad that I barely got through it without throwing it across the room.  

Doesn't everyone throw bad books across the room when they become utterly disgusted by them?  


I let Josie tackle the homework assignment the next morning before school.  She was exhausted from listening to all those books.


What special thing does Josie do on her birthday?  She "... ompin [her] presints wene [she] wake up."

Which is true.  Even when she wakes up at 5:30am, sadly!

2 comments:

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Josie and I share a birthday!! :) Love the birthday bag from school - that is a very cute idea. Happy Birthday Josie!

Martha said...

How wonderful! Happy Birthday to you, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...