Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Just Call Me Nigella Lawson


I saw a recipe in Cooking Lite for rhubarb liqueur and I was intrigued.  I love rhubarb and I love a good flavored vodka.  I own two of Nigella Lawson's cookbooks and she is always suggesting having various homemade, flavored liqueurs handy in one's pantry and I liked the idea, even if I was always too lazy to actually prepare any for my own pantry.

The Cooking Lite recipe was incredibly easy and the rhubarb at our local Whole Foods was plentiful, I really had no excuse.

I started by assembling the ingredients:


and chopping the rhubarb into small pieces:



I made my own simple syrup and added it to the rhubarb, vodka and Cointreau:


And then I divided up the mixture into four mason jars (I didn't have one big container like the recipe suggested).


These mason jars were left over from our October party - we used them as fall-themed glasses to serve the apple vodka punch.  I love drinking from a mason jar but I admit that I also chose these "glasses" because traditional martini stemware and large parties of drunken people do not mix well with nice carpets.

I followed the recipe and put the mason jars in my pantry for over two weeks.  

This is what they looked like way the liqueur was ready:


The recipe said that they color would have seeped out of the rhubarb and into the liquid.  

Check!

I strained the fruit from the alcohol:



And this is what remained:


I am such a Domestic Goddess!  Just like Nigella, I now have two beautiful jars of homemade, flavored liqueur in my pantry, waiting the perfect moment to be consumed.


But the real question is, does it taste good?  And the answer is that I have no idea.  It's Monday night and not a big cocktail day in our household.  I didn't even sneak a taste this afternoon when I separated the liquid from the fruit because I had a carpool to drive a few minutes later.  I'm thinking that the liqueur will be perfect mixed with seltzer or tonic or else just served by itself in a pretty glass.   I'll be sure to let you know when I drink it.

In the meantime, I'm feeling proud of my domestic goddess self and I know Nigella would be proud of me, too!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, Nigella, delicious or ptui?

Martha said...

Still haven't tried it. It's in the fridge waiting to be consumed. Probably on Friday

Tara said...

I must try this! Sounds fantastic! Just stumbled upon your blog via TopMommyBlogs and love it. Signed up to follow:)

Martha said...

Welcome, Tara! I'm so glad you like my blog and that you joined my followers! I saw from your profile that you are a former Californian (just like Gordy who was raised outside of SF) and a fellow peanut butter addict! You sound like my kind of gal!

TZRB said...

She's also your kind of gal because she has a great name! ;) Anyway, I LOVE rhubarb, AND cocktails...oh how I wish you could beam me up and pour me one!

Martha said...

I know, right?!?

Yes. You need to move across the country right away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...