Sunday, June 10, 2012

Henry is 12


I know!  I can't believe it either.  And yet it also feels just about right.  That's how it is with the oldest child - compared to the others, they seem .... old.  Henry was born two weeks early, 12 years ago and compared to my other two children, he was enormous.  



and he just kept on growing!

Henry grew 7 1/2 inches and 13 pounds in six months.  By Christmas eve, Henry was wearing 2T clothes and he was hard to hold.


Look at those thighs!  

Fast forward 11 1/2 years....



Henry is now a smidge under 5 feet which means that when he grows three more inches, he and I will be the same height.  It was bound to happen eventually.

I think Henry had a fun birthday.  He got some great presents:


Including a kindle reader (not the kind with the internet) which annoyed Georgia, who thinks she has a monopoly on book reading in our house:




The birthday child (or Gordy) gets to choose his/her birthday dinner and Henry chose one that he would love and that Georgia would hate (he's loving and calculated that way)


And for dessert, he wanted pound cake with buttercream icing and strawberries:


I always hand my camera to Gordy on birthdays, so he can document the blowing out of the candles and so I can be in a photos or two occaisionally:


Handing the camera over to Gordy is not as easy as it sounds.  Most years, he has centered the photos around the cake and my presence is marked only by a small bit of chin in the upper corner of the picture.  This year, I told him specifically to get me in some of the shots and he obliged ...


somewhat...


I mean, I know that the main focus of the above photo is Henry, blowing out his candles.  I don't actually need to be in this one at all.  But, scroll back up to the top of this post and check out the first photo I posted.  Henry's arm and the cake are centered and I'm reduced to a headless mouth.  

Oh well.







At least the cake was good!

Happy Birthday, Henry!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...