Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Hornets Are Back...

but this time we were ready!

Gordy was changing a light bulb in our bathroom the other day, when he glanced out the window and noticed this:


The tiny beginning of a brand-new hornets' nest, clinging to the molding of our guest room's dormer window.  

You may remember the enormous, Winnie-the-Pooh-sized hornets' nest that we had to have professionally removed from outside our kitchen window last year, but if you don't, you can re-read about the ordeal by clicking here.

Luckily for us, this new hornets' nest was just getting started and it didn't appear to be holding any hornets yet.  In other words, we thought we might be able to handle this situation without writing an enormous check to Dale, the Bee Buster.


Gordy got out a long-pole lacrosse stick, opened the bathroom window and got to work:


A few strategic smacks of the lacrosse stick and the mini-nest was removed, and lying in a puddle in our gutter.


Good job, Gordy!



We did a more thorough inspection of the house and found another mini-hornets' nest back in the same spot as the gigantic hornets' frat house of last year, so Gordy knocked that one down as well. 

The nerve of these bees.  

I guess we have to employ Constant Vigilance from now on.  At least, for the time being, we have shown the stinging community that we have a large stick and we are not afraid to use it!

3 comments:

Angie said...

LOL- Good job Gordy! I hate hornets. We get sand hornets in our yard and they scare me to death. Those creatures are vicious.

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

We recently had a small swarm of honey bees under out trampoline! Glad Gordy got them before the nest got any bigger!

Martha said...

Angie - I can not imagine what a sand hornet is but it sounds TERRIBLE! I am terrified of bees.

Lisa - UNDER YOUR TRAMPOLINE!?!?! What a horrific place for bees! I hope no one got stung!

I had a friend come up to me at the pool this morning and tell me that reading my blog today made her feel sick! I guess there are a lot of us bee-aphobes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...