Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Underground Railroad


Something strange has been happening around my house ever since summer vacation began.


Unbeknownst to me, my house has become a stop on some strange underground railroad for half-full cups.

I can walk into almost any room and face the following scene:


... one or more cups, sitting alone on any available surface, justing resting and waiting for someone to move them on to the next stop of the railroad - which presumably is the dishwasher.

At first, I thought it was a just a kitchen phenomenon, but then I found this on my back staircase:


and a few days later, I saw this on my bannister:


... but it wasn't until I found the following cup, looking petrified as it precariously tried to balance on the chair rail in my powder room, I decided that this stop on the Underground Railroad had to shut down.


In my discussion with the children, I tried to emphasize two things:  stop using multiple cups throughout the day without putting them away in the dishwasher and stop filling those cups up with water that you don't plan to drink.


It will take a few weeks to break the habit and for true progress to be made, but I was happy with our talk.

That is, until I went into my family room and saw these:



Yellow mugs and drink bottles scattered around the end tables?  Really, Gordy?  Obviously, this railroad was more entrenched in our house than I thought!

6 comments:

Lovey said...

Ha! This reminds me of spending summers at my grandparents' lake house. My grandfather got so fed up with discarded half-full cups and soda cans that he finally assigned each grandchild a colored dot, placed on the one cup you were given that day. If he caught a drink hanging around, he knew exactly who the culprit was!

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Ha! At my house it's shoes-I find them everywhere!!!

Laura said...

This is too funny! My brothers and went through a similar phase when we were your kids' ages. (But we used mugs, because they were more reachable.) I still don't understand why we did it... weird.

Martha said...

Lovey - great idea! I'm off to buy dot stickers right now. I'd like to get to the bottom of this cup mystery by the end of the summer!

Martha said...

Lisa - we used to have a shoe problem, too! But our new house has a mudroom right by the garage and my kids have been trained to take their shoes off when they come in the door (and not by me, either! It's something they all learned at friends' houses!)

Martha said...

Laura - I'm sure my kids would use more mugs if I didn't have them on such a high shelf! They do love those mug handles and pretending that they are drinking coffee!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...