Friday, August 24, 2012

The Hodge Family Wildlife Preserve


The first week of our Block Island vacation was mainly a beach week.  We got to the ocean in the morning, spread out the blankets, put up the tent, got out the boogie boards and stayed as long as we could.  

We went to the beach almost every day of the second week too, but it was usually later in the afternoon and we never stayed longer than a couple of hours.  In the morning, the children went to their BI Club classes and in the early afternoon, we explored the island.

One of the first places we went was the Hodge Family Wildlife Preserve - which is a beautiful spot with walking trails that lead to a little pond and ultimately the ocean.  We visited the Preserve years ago (Josie was only months old and in a stroller) but we hadn't been back since.  Gordy didn't seem all that interested in going, so I dragged brought the children after he had left the Island.

It was a hot day and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  I knew that in order to get them to walk, a bribe would be in order.  That's right - I am not above bribing my children to do something with me that I want to do.  


My bribe was a Dell's Frozen Lemonade, which I figured would take them at least half the walk to finish and keep them cool for the return half.


I was right, of course, but that didn't mean that this particular bribe didn't come back to bite me on the tush.  (more on this later)


Georgia, lost in her own thoughts, took the lead.

The Hodge Family Preserve is very nice in that it's path is wide and well-mown.  Block Island is covered in poison ivy and no matter how many times I see a picture and hear the "leaves of three, leave them be" rule, I can not properly identify the plant.  It's sad, really.


I stopped to take a few pictures of the flora and fauna:



and of the sky, which was looking particularly beautiful.


It doesn't take you long to get to the pond:


and we stopped to dip our feet into the water:





On the way back, I paused again to take a photo of a butterfly ...


and a discarded robin's egg:


I absolutely love how visible the ocean is from almost every point on Block Island.  You really get a sense of solitude and peace with every vista:



and that's when the children finished their drinks and I ended up lugging the empty cups and straws back to the car.  Sigh.


I should have thought of a treat that had no trash at the end!

Bribing is never without consequences!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...