Thursday, September 6, 2012

The First Day


Ah.  The first day of school.  The day that all children dread and all parents are supposed to adore.

Well.  I don't adore the first day of school.  Yes, I do enjoy eating my lunch in peace and going to the grocery store without whining children, but there is something so very sad about a quiet house after a nice, long summer.  I like my children at home.  With me.  

This year, we had an unusual first day arrangement:  Georgia and Josie went to school from 8:30 until 11:30 and Henry went from 11:30 until 2:20.  Henry is in 7th grade now and at middle school, the 6th graders go in the morning and the upper two grades go in the afternoon.  This arrangement was created so that the 6th graders could figure out their new school without fear of being stuffed into a locker or otherwise teased by an older student.  

I kid.

At least, I hope I'm kidding.

Josie is entering the second grade and Georgia the fourth.


 I like this photo for a variety of reasons but it's particularly interesting to me because it shows Georgia standing on her two feet bare-footed.  If you look really closely, you can see that if Georgia puts her left leg all the way down, her right leg has to be raised two-to-three centimeters in the air to compensate.  I wrote about Georgia's amniotic band syndrome here (I mean click here) and for the most part, we don't really think about her leg all that often, but on occasion (like the above photo), the differences are clear.  

This year, for the first time in awhile, we had a hard time buying shoes.  Georgia's right foot is now a whole foot size smaller than her left and it's obvious that two different size pairs of shoes need to be purchased to form one perfect pair.

Georgia still wears a lift in her shoe (when she remembers to remove it from her soccer cleats, that is) and we are still discussing the merits of having a third surgery when she is older to even out the growth in her two legs.  

Amniotic Band Syndrome is complex and scary but all considered, we made out pretty well.


But back to the First Day of School.  I had all three children pose in front of the fire place, as usual.  It's fun to be able to see their differences over the year and "watch" them grow.    

Thursday is still a half-day for the girls, but Friday will be my first real day "off."  We will get back into the swing of things and a routine will be established, but I will probably continue to mourn the end of summer for awhile.  That's just who I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you.
Love the pictures!

tmm

Martha said...

thanks! Hope your first day went well, too.

Angie said...

I'm with ya friend, I don't like the 1st day of school either. I've only got the one in school right now but I miss her like crazy when she is gone. I remember (years ago) when she was an only child, how quiet my days were when she was away. That isn't the case anymore BUT I still miss her so bad.

LOVE the pictures. You have beautiful children!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...