Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas


Ah, Christmas morning.... is there anything more fun than waking up to presents and surprises?


The children opened their stockings and gifts from Santa first.

Josie got a dollhouse and Henry received a new lacrosse stick.



Georgia got a giraffe:


Lily got a white furby and Avery got a new pancreas.


...wait - what?  Oh.  Diabetes humor.  I get it.


After we opened Santa's gifts, we got down to business and opened the rest of the family presents.

Henry's gift had a letter inside:


It told him to go down to the basement and to get his fingers warmed up.


Henry got a pin-ball game and after he fought off the adults in the house, he got to play a few games on his own.

Then we pulled him away so we could go back upstairs and finish the presents.


There were more treasures to unwrap:





When there are 14 people, present opening can seem very, very long!


At the end of the morning, we were all pretty worn out.

Fast forward 8 hours later, it was time for Christmas dinner.


We opened our crackers and put on our crowns:





We dined on traditional lasagna (which was almost ruined since I forgot to take the plastic wrap off the top before putting the pan in the oven). Whoops!  Luckily for all of us hungry people, I realized my mistake early enough to avert total disaster.

Christmas was on Tuesday this year and our family stayed until Thursday.  We had such a great time hosting and enjoying every one's company.... but a few minutes after the last people left our house on Thursday morning, I said good-bye to one important part of Christmas:  The tree.

Oh My Gosh - that darn tree was TORTURE this year.  I don't know if it was because we had a much bigger tree than usual or if we inadvertently got a different type of tree than we have before ... or if the tree farm sprayed our tree with some offensive chemical, but I have NEVER had such allergies to a Christmas tree before.  Henry and I were suffering the entire two weeks the tree was up and that was with the allergy medicine, shots (on Henry's part) and an air-purifier going 24 hours a day.  

My eyes, sinus' and nose were begging me to drag that tree out of the house and that's exactly what I did.

Normally we would wait until after New Year's to take down the tree, but I couldn't wait another minute.  

And once Gordy had removed the tree, I realized that we didn't wait a minute too soon.  Check out the mess the tree left in it's wake:



The ornaments are boxed up and living in our attic once again.  The decorations have been removed and our house is back to normal.  I miss all the hustle and bustle but it's been nice to breathe through my nose again.

How was everyone else's holiday?

3 comments:

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

So glad you had a great Christmas!!

Angie said...

Looks like everyone got lots of goodies! Glad you all had a great Christmas and REALLY glad you all are feeling better!

Martha said...

THanks, Lisa!

Thanks, Angie!

Merry Christmas to you both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...