Thursday, January 17, 2013

One of The Many Reasons I Love My House


Oh how I love my house!  Yes, we did name it The Leakey Cauldron for obvious water-related issues, but ice-based disasters aside, the house does have many wonderful qualities.  

Some of these qualities only come to light on certain days.... snowy school days like yesterday, for example.  Our old house was far away from the children's schools.  At our old house, a snowy morning meant two things:  getting up early to shovel and scrape off the car and then a stress-filled car ride on slippery streets in hazardous conditions.

A snowy morning at our new house, just means a little extra exercise ...... for Henry.

Most mornings, the girls and I drive Henry to school.   I know - lazy, lazy, lazy - but the poor boy does have to get to school early (7:30) and his back pack is really heavy.  

Because our new house is within walking distance of the schools, I no longer have to get up early to shovel the driveway just to get our kids to their classes in time.  In fact, I don't have to rush to shovel the driveway at all.  

We're close enough to walk - almost every where.  And if the weather conditions mean that I can't get the car out of the garage, down our steep, snow-covered driveway and onto the unplowed roads, who cares?

We just walk.

I took some photos of Henry leaving for school in the dark.


And obviously, Henry ran as fast as he could past the stoop where I stood with my camera.

Mothers are just so embarrassing.

The girls were more accommodating of my ever-present camera:


(That's our neighbor, Audrey, who walks with us every morning)  

It was later in the morning and the sun was out.  

It was also still snowing...


but our street had finally been plowed and the girls were ready for our daily walk.


We left the house a little early just in case we walked slower than usual.



And it's a good thing we did because our neighborhood was full of interesting things to look at.  

The turkeys had been out and about:


And the trees were looking gorgeous in their snow-covered jackets:


I walked the girls to school and then walked back home.  I had a pilates class in town an hour later and I still didn't feel like shoveling out the driveway.


So I didn't.  I walked back into town, took the class and walked back home.  Living close to town is such a luxury in the suburbs.  It makes me feel like I'm back living in the city.... just without the noise, the people and the ability to get food past 8pm.

Sadly, it had started to rain by then and I knew that I couldn't postpone the shoveling any longer. 

(In case you aren't from a snowy area, here's a tip:  Heavy rain plus 3 inches of snow = REALLY HEAVY SNOW.  The heavier the snow, the harder it is to shovel.  You're welcome) 

2 comments:

David said...

Really nice photo down the snowy road.Very good composition and well exposed and depth of field.

Martha said...

Thanks, David - I liked that one, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...