Sunday, January 6, 2013

The One Good Thing About Snow


I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I hate snow.  

I hate everything about it - it's cold temperature, it's slippery surface, it's road-clogging ways and the way it once decided to come into my house to soak my ceilings, walls and floors.  

Last year, we had hardly any snow at all in New England and while everyone else walked around grumbling, I spent the entire winter with a large smile on my face.

I knew we weren't going to be so lucky again this year.  

Sometime right before New Year's Eve, we got our first major snow storm of the season.

I heard my roof heaters click on, but I still spent a whole lot of time walking through my house, feeling the walls for dampness and listening for tell-tale drips.  

I was getting more than a little crazy and I knew I had to get out of the house.  

I knew I had to give snow a more positive spin - if only for my own well-being.

I took the children sledding: 



The children Elliot love to go sledding.  


and since they are only tenants and not the owners of a leaky house, snow never brings my children down.

Quite the contrary.  

To my children, snow is nothing but an excuse to slide down neighborhood hills on an inflatable tube, at ridiculously crazy speeds.


And so they did:


Many, many, many times:


I usually go sledding myself, but on this particular day, I simply watched and took pictures.


I tried to think about snow's good qualities.  


Like the fact that my children were outside, getting fresh air and a whole lot of exercise.


They were getting along and no one was arguing.


There was team work:



and a rare truce in the great Henry/Georgia war of 2012:


Sigh.

Okay.  Maybe snow isn't SO bad.  

But only if it stays outside where it belongs.

4 comments:

Angie said...

It's no wonder you hate snow. Sounds like you had quite an ordeal with it. I LOVE snow but only once a year. Since we are in Kentucky, we rarely get any. I'm still waiting for our 1 time this year to take my kiddos sledding. Looks like yours had a blast!!

Martha said...

True, Angie! But I know I should at least try to be happier about snow!

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Here in NC a couple inches of snow and everything shuts down - schools, roads, etc. It's great for a day or two once a year, but any more than that and it gets pretty old pretty fast!

Martha said...

Oh, I know, Lisa! My sister - Southern Sister - and her family live in NC and she reports that a single snow flake shuts things down in a minute.

But in many ways, that's preferable to the way the "natives" act here. People whiz right by you on a icy highway with no regard to the conditions.

Oh well. My solution? Ban snow altogether!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...