Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cake Decorating (Without Decorating Cake)


A few days before Josie's birthday, I took an inventory of the presents she was going to receive and realized that the ratio of clothes to toys was heavily weighted on the clothes side.  

Don't get me wrong, Josie loves clothes and I knew that she was going to be excited to find new outfits in her pile, but she's also eight and an eight year old needs some toys.

To remedy the problem, I took a trip to that fabulous toy store, Henry Bear's Park in Arlington, MA and found the AMAZING Whipple Craft'n Fun Creme!  What could be more prefect than a kit that allows a child to practice cake decorating with no real icing, no baking and minimal mess?  Nothing!

Josie wasted no time in opening the craft-kit up:


She and Georgia (who coincidentially is participating in a real Cake Decorating Mentor Program right now - more on that in a future blog post) read the directions and got to work:


I have no idea what the Craft'n Fun Creme is.  And I don't want to know.  It looked remarkably like buttercream icing - the resemblance was so remarkable that I had to remind the girls more than once not to sample the goods.

 

It took a few tries for Josie to get the hang of the "pastry" bag, but once she did, there was no stopping her.


She decorating a few mini-cakes and one full-sized cupcake.


Next it was Georgia's turn:


Georgia hasn't learned pastry bag yet in her Cake Decorating class, so the skill was new to her as well.


I thought they did a good job.  


There Was Sharing.
There Was The Use Of Fine-Motor Skills.
There Was A Noticeable Lack of A Sugar High.
There Was Zero Mess.


A successful craft kit, in my book.....

except for the small nagging fact that Josie and Georgia had made unbelievably delicious-looking cupcakes that they couldn't eat.  Even I was dying for a cupcake by  the time the craft was finished. My sister, Elizabeth, says that she can't watch tv cake shows because they leave her feeling hungry and depressed at the end... and now we totally understand what she is talking about!  What torture!

Who bought this riduclous thing!?!?  

oh.  yeah.  that would be me.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Cake and icing you cannot eat?!

How cruel is that?!

You can rock me to sleep tonight.

Martha said...

Yes. I admit, the IDEA seemed better than the execution actually was. When it was all said and done, I could recognize the cruel and unusual punishment part!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...