Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's Still Winter Here

One of my favorite things about the month of March is that it signals the end of the freezing cold days and endless snowy forecasts...

usually, I mean.

The last few days have been bitterly cold.  I sent my 10 year old to outdoor soccer practice dressed in more layers than an Arctic explorer.


Outdoor soccer in 30 degree weather!?!  What the heck!


It's way too cold.

And then this morning, I woke up to this crazy view:


Snow!  In March!  And yesterday, I saw crocuses (croci?) popping their little heads out of the earth.

What a nightmare.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't exactly "wake up" to see snow.  I "woke up" when the Superintendent of Schools called at 6am to inform me that today would be the children's SIXTH snow day of the year.  


It's 8:00 now and our road (which is always the last road in town to be cleared) has been plowed, and it's no longer snowing that hard.  I'm thinking a Delayed Opening would have been more practical - especially when you think about how our children will now be going to school until the very end of June.

I haven't gone outside yet - I took these photos from my front porch, while I searched (visually and unsuccessfully) for my newspaper.  It's a heavy, wet snow and my trees seem to be just as annoyed with the snow as I am. 


Judging from the porch railing, I'd say we have about 6 inches of snow.

I don't want to disparage my fellow townspeople, but aren't New Englanders supposed to be hearty and able to brave the elements?  Why on earth do we keep having snow days for six inches of snow?  


Last year, we didn't have a single snow day and the kids got out of school on June 12th.  The summer seemed luxuriously long and endless - it makes me smile just thinking about it.  


Oh well.

We will make the most of the snow day:  the children will go outside and build forts and try to sled.  I will get my daily exercise shoveling.  We will watch a movie and read books and Georgia will find time to practice her flute.  

And hopefully - Good Lord Willing and the Clouds Don't Reappear - this will be our last snow day of the year.  

We've really had enough!



2 comments:

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Oh my!! We haven't had much snow here this winter, but the cold temps just seem to keep hanging around. Today's predicted high is 42 and windy. That will not make for a very fun horseback riding lesson or 7:30 pm soccer game! :(

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Oh - meant to ask -did my post from Monday show up in you blogger blogroll?? Suddenly bolgger is telling me I haven't liked any blogs and it won't even let me see my own profile! Very weird - I'm wondering if this means others can't see me either??? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...