Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Great Garden Project Begins


On Monday, the landscape construction crew arrived at my house to begin the Great Garden Project of 2013, but before they did, I went outside and snapped a few last minute "Before" photos for my album.


I'm glad I did because it's nice to see some order now that my yard is total chaos.



On Monday, the crew brought a Bobcat up the small slope into our backyard and they began the day with ripping from their perch, the gigantic boulders that lined our backyard.


And then the workers used the Bobcat to dig an enormous trench where our rock wall will be built.  They dug up the yard and removed the wooden steps and a few more trees. 


And then all the workers left for the day.

At which point, the skies opened up and it poured rain for three days.


For three days, our "yard" was a gigantic mud pit and I spent most of those 72 hours, nervously waiting for the neighbors to complain about mudslides and for Honey Boo Boo or the cast of that MTV West Virginia show to arrive with four wheelers to take advantage of our perfect conditions.

On the fifth day, the sun came out just enough for the workers to return and for the rock wall to begin.


The project is going so much slower than I had anticipated but I guess that's what happens when you are working with mother nature in New England.


It's a hard lesson for me to learn.  I'm an impatient person by nature, and when projects like this begin, I expect them to be finished a minute later.  Two minutes, tops.


The sun was out this morning (for a brief period, mind you, we are supposed to get more rain tonight and for the next two days, sigh) and I took some new photos of the disaster zone.

When the crew left on Friday, the heavens had literally opened up.  A Nor'easter was working it's way through Massachusetts and it was raining harder than I'd seen in a long time.  It's hard to tell what was left as a work in progress and what is just the utter mess of a yard torn up.


I am told - by both the contractor and by our wonderful landscape designer - that this is the absolute worst part and from here on, things will steadily improve.  I know it's true and yet I wish the weather would cooperate long enough for those steadily improving conditions to actually occur.  It will be a wonderful day when I am sitting on the patio (where that tent and those tarps are lying now), with my feet up, sipping a summery cocktail and reading my book.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...