Sunday, July 14, 2013

To Grandparents' House We Go....


We arrived in Maine on Friday night and poor, sick Gordy immediately went to bed.  The rest of us took a quick trip to the local lighthouse to commune with the ocean and breathe a little cool, sea air. 


I communed and breathed like everyone else, but I also spent a great deal of the time, standing on the cliff above the children, hoping that they didn't fall into the ocean - especially Georgia, who is prone to falling (although not particularly prone to falling into the ocean).

My worrying worked, as we left the Lighthouse without a single ocean casualty.


The next morning, we got up and ate a delicious breakfast on my parent's screened-in porch.  Gordy, having slept about 12 hours, was feeling a whole lot better.

He will be happy that I included this below photo of his spectacular bed-head.


You're welcome, Gordy.

After breakfast, Josie joined her Granny in the garden where they harvested vegetables for that evening's dinner:



The garden had a pretty impressive selection of vegetables to choose from.


Once the salad was settled, we jumped into the car and headed over to Rockland and the Breakwater that I mentioned in my last post.  I can't properly describe how hot it was in Maine last Saturday, but to quote Neil Simon, I would say that it was "Africa Hot" and I might further say that "Tarzan couldn't live [there], it's so hot."

Despite the extreme heat, we ate a wonderful picnic lunch at Owl's Head ...


... before heading over to the Owl's Head Lighthouse for a quick tour.





That afternoon, we took the children to the local swimming hole (which I wrote about in my last post) and when we returned, we took full advantage of Granny & Grandfather's hammock:


Those are my toes you see below:


And after our hammock sojourn, Josie was able to show off the many mosquito bites she received while rocking:


Whoops!  

The next morning, we went to a beach to do some beach glass combing (more on that later) and then our Maine trip was over.  We weren't able to stay very long, so we crammed as many fun things into the trip as we could before we left.  



4 comments:

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Those mosquito bites look like what happen to my youngest - the mosquitos love her! Glad you all had fun!

Angie said...

I've always wanted to visit Maine! I've heard it's breathtakingly beautiful.

Those bites look nasty. Poor thing :(

Martha said...

Lisa - Mosquitos love Josie, too! They must be extra sweet!

Martha said...

Angie - Maine is really gorgeous. It's a great place to vacation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...