Sunday, September 15, 2013

Some Assembly Required


Gordy's birthday was last week and the kids and I presented him with a stick hockey table in celebration.  We came up with the idea while on vacation over the summer and the moment we returned, I went to work finding and purchasing the exact table we wanted.

The process was not without drama, as you can imagine.

The internet is amazing... you can find and order almost anything in the world and everything is happy and wonderful until you get the phone call from the shipping agent who tells you that the item you purchased from a hockey store in Michigan has arrived on a palate, inside an 18-wheeler truck and weighing over 100 pounds.  

Oh, and did I mention that the delivery window was a 12 hour period and the shipping company told us that since there's only one driver on the truck, I would need to be present in order to assist him in carrying the item from it's place into my residence?

I'm not sure I really thought this whole thing through.

When the game arrived, I opted to have the delivery man leave the entire thing in our garage.


I needed him to hurry since the 18 wheeler didn't exactly fit into my car-sized driveway and our street is only one lane and not particularly conducive to large trucks who can't pull over to allow traffic to pass by.

There was also the problem of timing.   The delivery was more than a week before Gordy's birthday, and I didn't want him to see the packages and ruin the surprise.  

I creatively threw some tarps over the top and played dumb whenever Gordy asked what hidden in the garage.

Tarps?  What tarps?


On Gordy's birthday, I opened up the package and separated the legs pieces from the table pieces.


It became apparent that I wouldn't be able to assemble this toy by myself.  First of all, the table weighed over a 100 pounds and I couldn't lift it at all.

The second problem was that the box containing the leg portion included everything a person would need to assemble a stick-hockey table except the directions.


This worried me since I usually find directions necessary.

I mean, there is a reason why I am not employed by Ikea.

I immediately rang for some back-ups and my good friend Fay took my call.


(Fay and I in happier, non-assembling times)

Fay came over and helped me carry the table into the basement ... and helped me make the executive decision that we would have to present this hockey table to Gordy as a combined Gift and Activity.

Surprise!  Here is your gift!  It's a stick hockey table that you get to assemble all by yourself!

Hooray!  Lucky you!  Call me when you're finished!  


It's not as bad as it sounds.  Once we lifted the table out of the palate box, Fay and I found the instructions hidden underneath, so at least Gordy had a diagram from which to work.  

It's a good thing that I hadn't even attempted to put the darn thing together.  There was much drilling and screwing and a few odd curse words and it was way out of my league.

Georgia came home from soccer practice and helped hold the legs and the watch for levelness.



It wasn't too long before the assembly was finished and the fun began.

The first game was Henry vs. Gordy and was as thrilling as we had hoped.


Georgia and Josie waited patiently for their turns and gathered knowledge to use for their own games.


Gordy won that initial match (I don't remember the exact score, but I remember being impressed, knowing all about the large Gin and Tonic Gordy had had to drink while assembling the table.  To calm his nerves.  You understand).


I'd consider the present to be a great success.  

And now I just have to figure out what I'm supposed to do with that wooden palate in my garage!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Ha Ha- Gordy better appreciate that table, sounds like it was a real pain for you!!!
Glad he liked it. I bet him and the kids will get a ton of use out of it.

Lisa @ The Golden Spoons said...

Ah! What fun!! I wouldn't have attempted assembly either. :-)

Martha said...

Hello Angie!

I'm such a giving person (ha, ha!) I bet you hope you never have to get a gift from me!

Martha said...

Lisa - it was so hopeless. Even my very capable friend, Fay, walked away from the task.

Gordy did manage to get it all assembled and with a minimum of curse words, so that's a good thing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...