Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Our Sand Dune Hike


The girls and I had a relatively free Columbus Day (relatively free since I had a pilates class and Josie had late-afternoon hockey practice).  We talked about what we'd like to do and decided that a short hike and picnic on the beach seemed perfect and for added good fun, we invited our cousin Brooke along.  Brooke has been at college for over a month now and we figured that she might be ready to leave the campus and see another part of her new state.

Our destination?  Crane's Beach in Ipswich.  I've written about Crane's beach before (click here to read the first story and click here to read the second).  We go to this beach regularly and we've even toured the Crane Estate, but there are short hiking trails through a nature preserve on one side of the property that we've never explored and from what I could see on the internet, the hikes were the perfect size for us to stretch our legs, see a little nature and survive without too much whining or complaining.


I envisioned a wetlands trail.  A marshland path through tidal pools and over boardwalks.  This was not the case.  The Green trail (which we chose because of it's close proximity to the car park) was really a sand path through the dunes.  It was more of a beach walk, but without the ocean.


It was sandy, soft and hard to walk on, so most of us took off our shoes and socks and went bare-foot.


The trail was a 1.7 mile loop and took us past some neat decidous trees and over sandy dunes.  We didn't see any animals or birds, but it's late in the season and most birds have gone south for the winter.


I took some lovely shots of the sun coming through tree branches 


and of critter tracks going up and over the sand:


We felt like we were hiking in a desert:


Except every now and then, we would catch a glimpse of the sea:


After our walk, we went on to Crane's Beach and enjoyed lunch:


It was a warm day and the sun was shining.  It was also the calmest wave day I've ever seen.


The ocean was more like a lake.  There wasn't a single wave to be seen.


It wasn't the longest trip - we had to get Brooke back to college and we had to make that hockey practice - but it was relaxing and a good change from an ordinary Monday.


This will probably be our last trip to the beach for a while.  Good bye, ocean!  We'll miss you!

2 comments:

Guymons said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I did NOT even know that anyone besides my dad read it!!!! Seriously!!! I like your "mean girl" comparison. That's exactly what it is like. The other kids go along with the leader probably so that he wont tease them, too. Andrew used to be popular (and happy), this mean kid is ruining this year for Andrew. I'm so glad you commented, I feel like I have a new friend. And now that I know people read my blog, I better edit what I say and make it better, haha!

Martha said...

You're so funny! But I know what you mean, whenever I get comments from random (to me) people, I always try to up my ante over the next few weeks (and then I hit a lull!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...