Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Day As An Honorary Third Grader


Last Thursday, I had the honor of joining Josie and her fellow third graders on a field trip to Plimoth Plantation.  I've helped out in Josie's classroom plenty of times over the years, but this was my first field trip with her class.  It's not that I haven't wanted to help out, it's just that field trips always fall on the worst possible days.  It's a known fact.  I was excited about being able to field trip, but I wasn't particularly thrilled with the trip's location.  Plimoth Plantation is not my favorite place in this world, but I sucked it up and signed that chaperone slip and I was rewarded with a very easy assignment.  So many parents volunteered that the "group" I was to supervise consisted of Josie and one other girl.  

Parents aren't allowed to ride on the bus (and we're not complaining), so my friend Angela and I carpooled together to Plymouth and met the class there.  Spending the hour talking to Angela instead inside a deafening bus with 100 third graders... there's really no contest, Angela wins every time.

Josie and I visited Plimoth Plantation a couple of years ago, so we knew how we wanted to spend our time.  We went to the Wampanoag area first, where we were met by the following man: 


He explained what we were about to see and how we were supposed to act.  With our extremely high parent to student ratio, I wasn't worried about our school's behavior.

The Wampanoag area is divided into various activities.  We stopped and watched the following young man make a canoe (and answer about 1,000 questions):


and we went into the house to hear the same young man (shifts had changed) talk to us about family life.


Josie's class is doing reports on the Wampanoag right now, so both she and her partner had questions to be answered and photos to take.


We spent most of our time exploring the Wampanoags.


But after snack, we made our way up over the hill to Plimoth Plantation and communed with the pilgrims.


There was much Thoust and Doest and Ye Olde this and that.  My feelings on re-enactors have not changed since our last visit to Plimoth Plantation.  (Want to read when I compared re-enactors to scary clowns? click HERE)  But in general, this visit was much more favorable than our last.  There were plenty of Ye Olde English folk milling around and we did see some Olde English Goates:


And I always appreciate a good goat, even with the added Olde English Letters.

It was a short field trip, our town is about 45 minutes away and the kids had to get back to school before the last bell rang.  

And I'm not complaining about that fact.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...