Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Foggy Trip and The Winter Concert


On Tuesday, I got to visit Block Island in the winter (my first-ever time).  It was the rainiest and foggiest of all gloomy winter days, and the trip was super-short, but it was worth dealing with tight time constraints and horrible weather to breathe in the sea air and check out the island off-season.


I had envisioned a solitary walk on the beach and perhaps, if there was time, a walk to the ferry at the end of the visit, but instead, the errand that I was on the island to run, lasted the entire length of the trip and I was auto-ed back to the ferry with only minutes to spare.


I did get a few solitary moments by the ocean before the fog came in so thickly that photo-taking was rendered ridiculous.

Surprisingly, both ferry trips were totally calm and peaceful.  With the rain pouring down and the fog making pea-soup of the view out the window, I figured that I was in for a bumpy boat ride, but it didn't happen.  

The car-ride from Point Judith back home was more frightening.  The fog was so thick and the rain so hard, that driving was rather worrisome.  Most of the cars on the highway were going slow and I hit some pretty heavy traffic in Providence, making me a half-hour late picking Henry up from the train station.  

Another reason I was rushing home was because the girls had their winter music concert.  There may not have been time to eat dinner that night, but I did manage to take a photo of Georgia and Josie in their concert finery before we left.


I didn't bring my camera to the concert since I have zero success in photographing children in dark auditoriums, but a friend kindly sent the following two photos of Josie to me.


Thanks, Jen!  


The third graders played recorder for two of their songs and they did a very good job.

We had to watch the fourth graders before Georgia and her class arrived on stage.  During the first song, Georgia played the xylophone in front of the risers, but for the second song, Gordy and I watched with horror from our far-left hand seats (which we were lucky to get as it's a small auditorium and many parents had to stand) as Georgia climbed up to the tip top of the bleachers on the left-hand side and disappeared behind the curtain.

She was completely out of our line of sight.  In fact, I'd say she was completely out of most people's line of sight.  I received the following photo from my friend Laurel right after Georgia disappeared into thin air:


Laurel's text read:  "Geez.  Can she be even more in the corner?"

To which I responded:  "Right?!?!  No one puts Baby in the corner!"

Ha!  I really crack myself up.

Two days later and I'm still giggling at my lame joke.  I need to get a life.  Or at least bring my joke references into the new century.

It was a busy day - one full of music and adventure.  I was exhausted at the end of the day, but I guess it's smart to mix things up every once in a while.  When you take a complicated day-trip, make your 13 year old wait in the cold, wet dark for thirty minutes while you frantically drive home from Rhode Island and then starve your family in order to arrive at an elementary school concert on time, it forces you to appreciate the calm and ease of a normal day with nothing more pressing than endlessly carpooling, coordinating the arrival/departure of three different children to three different practices and then the joy of homework.

And that's a good thing, right?

2 comments:

Laurel Murphy said...

I totally got your joke if it makes you feel any better"

Martha said...

It does make me feel better, Laurel!!! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...