Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fun For the Sun-Deprived 1


We have been so sun-deprived!  Even the hard-core New Englanders are grumbling about the unusually harsh winter we had.  You've probably noticed how weather-centric this blog has become and for that I apologize.  It's just that when you crave sun and warmth like I do, it's natural that you become obsessed with the weather-related apps on your phone!  

It's Spring Break and it's still pretty cold, but the sun was shining on Monday and we took advantage of the situation to get outside and absorb some vitamin D.

I took Georgia and Josie plus two friends to a great playground in a near-by town to get some fresh air.


The Elliots were not properly dressed.

Well.  Two Elliots were not properly dressed.  The Third Elliot (moi) was wearing long pants, socks, sneakers, a wool sweater, a down vest and gloves.  

Because I know better, that's why.


This playground is famous for it's zipline.  It's not the highest zipline (it's only a few feet off the ground) nor the fastest (It's quite slow) but it's still fun and unique and therefore the crowning feature of an all-around great play space.  


All four girls took turns on the zip line.



And then they moved on to the playground's second best feature - the spinny things.

Don't you love the way I name playground equipment?  I'm so creative, I know.



There is an enormous, wooden castle in the middle of this playground, with towers and slides and monkey bars, but the girls didn't spend much time exploring that area.  Instead, they stuck to the aforementioned zipline, spinny things and the swings - specifically, the tire swing:


We didn't stay long at the playground.  I had a doctor's appointment in Boston and I wanted to leave plenty of time.  It was Marathon Monday, afterall, and I knew that Boston would be crowded.  

There was just enough time to get to the playground - no easy feat since the town we had to cross to get to the park was having a Patriot's Day parade and had blocked off most of their streets.   Here's a fun fact about New England for you:  New Englanders do not believe in signs.  While you are driving on a major street, you will notice that there are signs letting you know the name of streets that intersect with that major street, but they stubbornly refuse to tell you the name of the street on which you are currently find yourself.   You could (and do) drive miles on a street without realizing that you made a dreadful mistake and that you aren't even ON the street you thought you were on.  It's very vexing.  This hatred of signs (or more acturately, the hatred of non-native-New Englanders) also manifests itself during moments of street closures and road work.  There will be signs placed telling you that a road is closed and there MIGHT be a Detour sign pointing you in the general direction of the detour but that will be all.  You are expected to know an alternative route and to get there without complaining.  After all, if you had grown up here, it shouldn't be difficult.  There will be no other detour sign after the original one.  Mark my words.  For those of us who grew up in New Jersey (or California, for example) and are used to x-shaped street signs that tell you what road you are on and what road turns to the right/left and who need a constant stream of Detour signs pointing us in the right direction, New England is more difficult that we remember our childhood states being.

But I've lived here for 15 years and I'm finally getting used to it all.  I encountered that Road Closed Sign and instantly recalculated the trip in my head.  I may have needed three tries before I found an opening in that major closed road, but I did it and I was proud.

Yeah me.  

The things we do to get ourselves a hour of sunshine!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...