Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring Cleaning One


I had one practical goal to accomplish during the girls' spring break:  I wanted to organize Josie's very disorganized room.  Josie's toy-shelves had gotten out of control since the last time we had done a good organizational cleaning, and things were so messy that finding anything was almost impossible.

And it wasn't just Josie's toy shelves that needed a to be cleaned, almost every area of available floor space in her room was covered with various hobbies and half-finished projects.



I began by purchasing bins.  


Bins are always a good idea for organizing - especially when your child enjoys toys with lots of little, easily lost pieces and parts.

Josie and I spent about two hours removing everything from her shelves.  We threw away anything that Josie didn't use anymore or was broken or missing a critical piece... 


and we used the bins and the shelves to organize what was left over.  We threw away two large trash bags of junk.

And we also found a whole lot that Josie hadn't even known was missing, so that's a bonus right there.


Already, her room looked neater, but we moved on anyway.


We went through all the lego that Josie had sitting in various corners and we put it all into one, large bin.


We also moved the over-flowing box of American Girls dolls and their clothes/accessories to the basement playrooom since Josie really doesn't play with her dolls as much as she used too.  My eventual plan for the dolls was to pack them up and save them for Josie's children, but just the other day, the topic at the dinner table switched to our extensive American Girl collection and I learned that Josie and Georgia gave their dolls Sharpie Marker Tattoos a few months back, and now I'm wondering if it would be better to just toss them.  I'm not so sure that marker-decorated dolls hold the same charm with future grandchildren.


Our entire Spring Cleaning project took about two hours and we were both pleased with the results.  Here's to hoping that Josie's room stays organized until summer (ha!).

4 comments:

Angie said...

I need to do this in my son's room desperately and the toy room. I just can't seem to muster up the energy to get it done!

Jean said...

You should still keep the dolls. I cut the hair on all my barbies and Madame Alexander dolls when I was young. We just laugh when my daughter plays with them now! It makes for a great story.

Martha said...

Angie - I know that feeling! I've been putting off this spring cleaning for weeks. Her room looks so much better and she hasn't missed a single thing that we threw away.

Martha said...

Jean - You are right! Keeping the dolls is the smart thing to do. And who knows, perhaps those tattoos are small and artistic (ha!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...