Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween Hockey


Josie's hockey team celebrated Halloween at practice last Thursday.  The girls were allowed to come in costume - with the understanding that the costume had to fit over or around their hockey gear.   Josie's octopus costume didn't meet this criteria, so she chose to wear her macaroni and cheese costume from two years ago.  She taped the headpiece on her helmet and wore the tunic over her jersey and pads.

Her teammate E was a devil:


I don't go into the locker room with Josie anymore - cue the happy music and the church choir - but I went in this day to get photos and to help Josie squeeze her hockey-padded self into her second grade costume.


It was fun to watch the girls interact in the locker room.   They are starting to talk to each other more and they were excited to share what their Halloween costumes were going to be this year.  




I stayed for a few minutes during on-ice warm up.  My favorite (after Josie, of course) was this U9 pixie:


She reminded me of one of the Herdmanns from The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.  Have you ever read that series of books?  They are great and definitely make my top 10 of children's chapter books.  


I didn't stay too long at this practice.  Josie has three practices a week and I have to go to them all.  Since the team uses a college ice rink, I usually sit in the snack bar and read or on warm days (or days that I don't feel like listening to booming pop music) I sit in my car.  It's not the worst situation in the world, but I'd still prefer it if we could find another family to carpool with.


C'est la vie.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...