Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What Winter Left Behind


Remember those six feet of snow that I mentioned a few times this past winter?  Well, they are finally melting.

Hallelujah!

I've used my blog as a place to mock "spring" in Massachusetts before so I'll only briefly remind you that spring (as it is known throughout the rest of the world) doesn't exist in this state.

So when I say things are melting, I mean that the enormous stacks of snow that surround our home are slowly, painfully, drip-by-tiny-drip melting ...

and I am thrilled beyond my winter-hating belief.


But I can't help but worry about what is underneath all that heavy snow.  Somewhere buried beneath the pile of icy snow above is a row of beautiful, young shrubs.... 

and they aren't happy.  In fact, they are probably broken and dead.

How do I know?  Take a look at this:


The sun shines more directly on the shrubs near our basement window, and we are starting to see the crushed mess that used to be these sweet, fluffy bushes:


Depressing, isn't it?

The bushes faired better on the far side of our backyard, but even they look rather dehydrated:



Pippa Middleton and I took a walk around the property to inspect the damage from the storms.

Well, I walked.  Pippa Middleton was "playing a game" that involved holding tightly to my pant leg with her teeth and letting me drag her around on her belly.



The saddest casualty of the Long Winter is our tree:


I have no idea what happened, but I'm assuming it's irreversible.  I may not know too much about gardening but even I know that evergreens are not supposed to be brown and orange.

Sigh.

Let's move on.

The snow is lingering longer on our driveway and on our play yard.



Although it's been fun to watch the six feet of snow melt - especially since each day uncovers new treasures.  

Yesterday, we found a castle mold on the turf:



and snow goggles (that don't belong to our family) by the fence.



Things are only slightly better in our front yard.  There too are bushes, gasping for breath under a heavy mound of snow:


I finally dug out this poor tree (that is about five feet tall and was once covered completely in snow), because I was worried it wouldn't survive without my help.  



I can not wait until the last of this snow melts and we can start to rebuild our garden.  

Any day now!



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a fun game Pippa thought up! How clever!

I can't believe you have that much snow still. IT'S APRIL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...