Thursday, October 29, 2015

Josie Tries Something New


Josie is starting a new instrument - the guitar!  


Cello lessons weren't going the way we had hoped they would.  Josie spent most of the last year learning one five-line piece called Polka Dots.  Each week she'd practice her piece and each week, she'd have it reassigned.  After the third month, Josie was going out of her mind but perhaps not as much as Gordy and I were.  

In fact, if I EVER hear the song Polka Dots again, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to stop myself from screaming.

We thought about finding a new cello teacher but after the Polka Dots fiasco, Josie wasn't feeling particularly kind towards the cello in general.

I really want my children to play instruments, though, and I wasn't going to give up.  I asked Josie to pick another instrument and she chose the guitar.

Starting next week, Josie will be taking lessons from a friend of a friend.  The whole thing happened very quickly and easily.  I asked my friend Britt who is a singer/songwriter to recommend a teacher, she gave me the name of a good friend / colleague.  He has a free spot and can come to our house (HUGE bonus!) and he can start right away (before Josie's interest wanes).  It's all perfect.

We ended up buying a small guitar for Josie to use.  Buying a guitar cost less than renting the cello for the year, so it seemed like a smart thing.

Every day since we bought the guitar, Josie has taken it out of it's case and given it a try.

And even Gordy has been enjoying it  - here he is channeling some of his long-forgotten guitar skills learned at hippy school in the seventies: 




I'm excited for Josie and excited that she is excited.  I'll be sure to keep you all updated once the lessons begin.  

It's been a fun week for Josie.  I'll write more later, but here's a sneak peak:


Happy Hockey Halloween!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...