Friday, February 5, 2016

The First Snow Day

We got our first real snow storm today.  I woke up with Gordy at 4:50am and then couldn't go to back to sleep.  I turned on NPR and listened to the radio for forty-five minutes until my alarm went off.  NPR was mostly weather reports.  A real winter storm was approaching and New England was getting anxious.  Or excited.  It depended on whom you asked.  

I got Henry up at 6am.  Waking up Henry is not an easy task.  Henry claims that alarms do not wake him up, so it's up to Gordy and I to go into Henry's room and shake him awake multiple times.  Feel free to roll your eyes - I think we are stupid, too.  Today, however, Henry woke up right away and checked his twitter feed and that is how he found out that his school was closed.  

Yes, you read that correctly.  Henry's school announced that it had a snow day on Twitter.

2016 is a crazy, crazy place for those of us who learned about computers on a Radio Shack TSR80 in 6th grade.

I was relieved that his school was closed.  I had made an appointment for Henry to get his allergy shots at 3:30 and I had been dreading having to drive the 45 minutes from our house to Henry's school, IN THE SNOW, to pick him up and get him to allergy shots.  I am such a wuss when it comes to driving in the snow.  It's much easier to get Henry to the allergy shots from our house.  

Snow day?  Great!  Problem solved.

I moved on to Georgia's room and woke her up.  Then I did my morning routine.  I took Pippa Middleton outside to use the bathroom and then I brought her inside for breakfast.  I made Georgia a smoothie (Spinach, Chia seeds, strawberries, banana and coconut milk = healthy kid) and started putting together my own breakfast.  Then the phone rang!  YEAH!  

6am phone calls only mean one thing - NO SCHOOL!

Normally, I hate a snow day.  Snow days take up summer vacation days and are therefore the opposite of what I want for our lives.  But for some reason, having a snow day today seemed like a perfect idea.

Henry was already up, so I made an executive decision.  The snow was just starting at 6:30, and it was supposed to be really bad by 3:30, so I decided to bring Henry to the doctor's office during their open hours at 8am.  By 9am, we were done with shots, back at our house and we had an entire dreamy day to do nothing and go nowhere.

It reminded me of summer but without the wonderful heat.

The girls and I played a New York City memory game that was a gift from Lois and Harvey (hello lois!)  and then I kicked them out of the house to play and get fresh air.

It was crazy heavy snow.  All our trees were bent over to the ground and we probably got about 9 inches of snow which covered every individual branch.

I spent time working on my big photo album project (I had five years of photos to print out and so I decided to do something new and have photo books made - I'll do a blog post about that process since I found a great on-line company that I want to tell everyone about)

Henry played on his x-box with his friends all afternoon (not my best parenting moment) and Gordy was at work.

Georgia went to a sleepover party this evening, so our family can say that we did so something social.

But the rest of us are just relaxing.

We are supposed to be getting more snow on Tuesday and the temperature is supposed to go way down.  I'm happy with the snow day TODAY but I'm not going to be so pleased a week from now if the kids haven't gone to school and my house is drowning in water.  

Check back, if you want to read about me losing my mind!

It's winter, people!  It's bound to happen.

1 comment:

Guymons said...

it was 80 degrees here in Chico, so hot!!! and mosquitoes everywhere!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...