Tuesday, April 5, 2016

This is Ridiculous


It snowed here.  Again.  First it snowed on Sunday morning, but that snow was all melted by the afternoon. And then it snowed again yesterday, but this time it snowed all day long and left us with way too much snow to ignore.  

I had to shovel last night and it's April.

I am not amused.


The kids all had school which was a miracle.  I'm pretty sure the only reason that the girls' school wasn't cancelled was because it's standardized testing week and no one wants to postpone that torture.

It was snowing really hard and sticking to everything, but everyone was ignoring the terrible conditions and were going about their day as usual.


Normally driving in snow would terrify me - I'm not a confident snow driver - but about two months ago, Gordy and I traded our big behemoth SUV that drove TERRIBLY in the snow for a smaller SVU that drives wonderfully in all conditions.  

It was the best decision we've made in a long, long time.  The "old" car was a gas-guzzler, it was so heavy that it constantly slipped down our hill when the weather wasn't perfect and it needed new breaks every year.  I had begun calling it the Money Pit.  

I made three trips in the snow yesterday and all three were calm, slip-free and drama-free.  It was such a relief.  The same couldn't be said for some of the cars I passed on my journeys.  Driving home from exercise class, some little car flew by me, going about 80 on the snow-covered highway.  I watched him whoosh by me and then catch a spot of ice, spin sideways across four lanes and crash into a tree-filled ditch on the side of the road.  

Later on, when I was picking up Josie to go to swim lessons, I watched a two-wheel drive SUV slip and slide UP a hill towards me.  I was impressed with the way the driver handled the car, but I thought he might want to rethink his ride before next winter.

I decided to shovel yesterday late afternoon, before I left the house to pick up Henry from his bus.  I tried using an actual shovel but the snow was really heavy and hard to move.  I then got out the snow blower and was half-way through the turn-around by our garage when the blower scooped up Pippa Middleton's long leash, wound all 50 of it's feet around the blade and stopped working.  

Whoops.

Gordy was able to detangle the leash after dinner and together we finished the driveway.  It's in the twenties today, so the snow isn't melting anytime soon and the driveway and streets are covered in an inch of ice.  Our poor budding trees!  Those sorry, freezing tulips!  

Who has ever heard of such nonsense.  After a ridiculously wonderful winter, we are now having a truly miserable spring.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...