Tuesday, May 24, 2016

EnKa Fair & Parade


Last weekend was EnKa fair!  Josie and Eva went together -- without parents!  Yeah!  Yeah for them for finally getting old enough to do things on their own and Yeah for Gordy and me since it meant we didn't have to go to EnKa at all!  Instead of standing in lines and watching our children spin around in dizzying circles, Gordy and I went to a party where we celebrated our new-found freedom with other parents of children old enough for their kids to go to EnKa on their own!

It was a true win-win!


Georgia brought two friends from her soccer team who live in a neighboring town.  They met up with a large group of friends, too.

Friday night is probably the most exciting night for EnKa but it's not the smartest night to go.  Almost the entire town is at EnKa on Friday night and the lines for the rides get long and it takes forever to make it through.  I think that they all got to do about three rides in three hours.

Saturday was another day, luckily.  It started with the EnKa parade which included Georgia's middle school marching band.


And my favorite goat from the local farm.





After the parade, the girls met friends again and this time, the lines were short and easy.  

EnKa is open through Saturday night, but our family didn't make it until the end.  Georgia had lacrosse and Josie had a hockey party to go to.  Henry spent the afternoon with friends from town, but he said they only briefly stopped by the fair and while it went unsaid, I assume that meant that they went to get some junk food.

He certainly didn't go to the book tent :)



6 comments:

Diane Guymon said...

I was thinking about Henry's jumping basketball program he bought last year....did he do it....did his jump improve? Do you think I should buy it for Andrew this off season before high school basketball tryouts/season???

Diane Guymon said...

And YAY to not having to follow the kids around! Sweet! And Go Sharks! Is Gordie happy? Oh yeah and Henry loves the Lightning!!! And you guys have Penguins stuff in your play room, dont you!!!

Martha said...

Hello Diane!! This has been a great post-season for our hockey teams, hasn't it! We missed the end of the sharks game last night because it got too late! Darn time difference! If only my Rangers will in the play-offs... sigh.

As for the basketball program - I think it did work. Henry was very faithful to the regimen and while he wasn't really dunking at the end, his jump really improved and I know he thought it was really fun. He didn't end up playing basketball, though. His school started a hockey team and so he did that instead.

Diane Guymon said...

Tell me the name of the program again and where to get it? I am pretty sure Andrew thinks he can just wear ankle weights while sitting on the couch and think that will help him get stronger legs.

My favorite team vs my second favorite team....i hope the Sharks come in 1st place and the Penguins come in 2nd, haha! Sorry about the Rangers and Lightning.

I wonder if the basketball training helped his hockey. I've read lots of articles that kids should play multiple sports, which helps their main sport! I bet the tennis was great for hand eye coordination, too!!! He is probably really good at those swatting out of the air shots!!!!

I'm so glad we are friends, even if it is just commenting on each other's blogs to communicate!!!

Wenni Donna said...


Indeed an interesting event! Thanks for sharing these photos. I hope kids had a great time in this event. I will host a summer party for my kids and finding awesome venues Chicago for a perfect and budgeted summer party.

Martha said...

Diane ! I didn't see this comment until today! I'll have to ask Henry for the name of the basketball program. I totally can't remember. I'll get back to you. I think it did help his hockey. He was in better shape after the summer of sitting around :)

I'm so glad we are friends, too! It's so nice to have someone else who understands all these crazy teenage things and the politics of sports etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...